The United Figure skating team finished their season today at the 2021 Michigan High School State Championships. The team had a remarkably successful weekend. Saturday was the individual states which included the following results:
- Erin Scheske (Milford HS) skated the Gold SD Argentine placing 4th.
- Dakota Pillera (Milford HS) skated the Pre Silver SD 14S placing 7th and the Excel Juvenile plus placing 6th.
- Madilynn Leblanc-Wakefield (Lakeland HS) skated the Excel Pre Preliminary placing 7th.
- Katrina Impellizzeri (Walled Lake Northern) skated the Excel Novice placing 4th
- Emma Vermillion (South Lyon East) skated the excel novice placing 2nd in first round, and 5th in final round.
- Emily Simmons (South Lyon East) skated excel beginner placing 3rd.
- Jessica Lask (Hartland HS) skated Excel Pre Juvenile placing 6th.
- Lauren Zecchin (Milford HS) skated Excel Intermediate placing 2nd.
- Tami Kociuba (Brighton HS) skated Excel Juvenile plus placing 10th.
- Ella Germann (Brighton HS) skated Excel Juvenile plus placing 5th.
We are extremely proud of these skaters on their success on Saturday which with combined scores placed the whole team in 7th place at the end of the day out of 27 teams.
On Sunday was the Team states portion and the team did not disappoint. The following skaters participated on the State team and contributed to a strong finish in a very competitive field.
A TEAM: Amanda Vermillion, Emma Vermillion, Avrie Shettler, Katrina Impellizzeri, Paige Bolton, Erin Scheske, Alicia Dell, Samantha Peterson and Anna Zaremba. B TEAM: Tami Kociuba, Dakota Pillera, Ella Germann, Jessica Lask, Jessica Witkowski, Kaitlyn Bessonen, Hannah Riley Jeannette, Lauren Zecchin, Norah Dell and Kyra Wong. C TEAM: Madi Leblan-Wakefield, Emily Simmons, Mayson Piercznski, and Tori McLaughlin.
A TEAM had the highest finish ever in the state championships by placing 2nd place overall! Stand out performances were by freshman Katrina Impellizzeri with competing 3 elements for the team and securing the team placement. Another strong performance was by senior (captain) Amanda Vermillion who assisted with Katrina in the spins and helping them secure a 2nd place victory in spins. Senior Avrie Shettler and Senior (Captain) Samantha Peterson also contributed in Moves and Jumps. We are going to miss their leadership next year and wish them nothing but the best.
B TEAM had an extremely competitive showing and ended up placing 5th overall out of 13 teams. Both the Spins and Jumps team placed 5th and the moves team placed 8th. Stand out performances were by freshman Lauren Zecchin who performed 3 elements for the team.
C TEAM qualified for states for the first time in 9 years. The team placed 12th overall. The team consists of newer skaters who competed for the first time this year and a few veteran skaters to the sport. Although they did not place the way they felt they skated, their performances were inspiring, and they cannot wait for next season! The Stand out performance was from Senior (Captain) Madi Leblanc-Wakefield who competed many of the elements for the team and pushed through a broken wrist to help her team out. We are going to miss Madi next year!